Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Wedding Photography Pricing – OH MY!


As a photographer I initially struggled with pricing out my wedding packages and what I would offer a bride and groom.   I did what any new photographer would do and I researched my competitions prices, services and overall quality to help guide me in creating my packages and prices.

I considered everything from my quality/skills, time spent at the wedding, time spent editing, cost and time of printing, etc…  In the end I kept my rates very low to get exposure and experience.  In doing this I got a ton of experience, confidence and great clients.  As time went on I started increasing my prices to what I thought was a fair offering based on all of the factors listed above and my skill level increasing. 

Now today is a different day, I am an experienced wedding photographer and I now have much more time to focus on the details of the job having made the transition to full time… does that mean I should double my prices?  Some photographers would say yes and how dare you to not increase your prices.  But I went back to the drawing board to decide how I should approach this pricing “elephant” in the room.

What I decided was that my prices will raise slightly now that I am a full time photographer, lets be honest I need to pay the bills.  However my motto will stay the same…  “Everyone deserves a great wedding photographer”!  With that I will work on keeping my prices lower than some of my competition to accommodate the folks who cannot afford $3000 - $10,000 for a wedding photographer.

I gave up wedding photography for my day and wish I hadn’t don’t let it happen it you!

I would love to hear your thoughts on this subject.



No comments:

Post a Comment