Friday, September 16, 2011

How do you do it?

I get a lot of people asking me "how do you do it" when it comes to photographing children.  Often times these little people are less than cooperative they frown, shy away, cry or simply run away.  There are specific age ranges that really don't want to cooperate... if you have child between the ages of 18 and 24 months you know what I am talking about!

So how do I do it?  The answer is patience and acting like a big kid myself!  I test the waters right away when I meet the children I will be  photographing, I ask them questions like how are you doing, are you having a good day, etc...  This will instantly gauge how the session will go.  If I am lucky they answer my questions and tell me every other thing they have done that day with a big smile on their face and they are ready to cooperate but more often than not I get silence... chirp chirp chirp.  Ugh

Here is where it gets real fun!  Now I take it to their level, I get on the ground so I am eye level with them, I set my camera in my lap and ask them all sorts of questions trying to get to what makes them laugh.  Sometimes its bugs, ice cream, candy but I will be honest farts work really good!
Before too long you will get them laughing and you are good to go.  However on occasion you get a child who just is not into it and won't be getting there any time soon and that is where the art comes in.  When I have a child in this situation we walk around the park, let them play, explore and just be all the while I am snapping away with my camera.  I will be honest some of the best portraits come from these sessions... so be patient and find your opportunity.

Here are some samples of a session I had recently where the older brother was not in to it... he warmed up a tad at the very end but you will see I got some great photos of the boys.  ~ Enjoy!

Photos - © Swehla Photography








No comments:

Post a Comment